Well, turns out they offered me the job.
When I say "they", of course I am referring to the "Cool Company" I've interviewed with a few times. I saw them again today around 2:00 PM, and they said I was the perfect fit for the company. I was elated of course, I mean...I've had just about enough unemployment to suit me just fine.
I asked for 24 hours to think it over, and call them back. The offer isn't exactly the kind of cash I was hoping for, but they will be spending a significant amount of cash on some kickass training over the next year or so. This training was something I would have to be getting eventually anyway (mostly) and the benefits are pretty posh too. To top it off, they would like for me to assist with some of the sales and make commission on top of my base salary.
I'm all for that, because I can sell a three legged hippopotamus wearing a tutu. They have another employee (in a different department) who pulls a similar salary on top of his commissions and he's paid well over 100k. I can SO handle that kind of money. It's good news too, because I was beginning to worry that my job would be 100% technical. Sure, I've always been rather skilled in my field, but I really stand out when people factor in my creative and communication abilities. It's the sizzle, baby.
I suppose the most encouraging thing about this is the fact that they have been in business for over 60 years -- and they've been doing well. I mean a 500% increase in business over 2 years, and they're well established, organized, professional, and they don't need some radical change or innovation. Things are just fine and dandy.
Shit people, I don't have a disaster to clean up here! Do you know how freakin' unbelievable that is for me? Over the last 4 years, every position I have taken as a consultant or an in-house IT guy has been with either a start up (usually run by some entrepreneur who cant get his paychecks written on time) or with some old dinosaur waving the white flag of surrender. I'm always they guy they call when the shit hits the fan.
I mean, this company doesn't need me. I can't tell you how nice that is. It's like meeting a sexy, independent woman who wants to get into your pants...and then pay you for it.
So yeah things are looking up, cool company is a lock, the new apartment will probably be approved for us tomorrow afternoon, and some friends of mine who owe me money claim they will be paying up soon.
Good lord, where did I put my lottery ticket?
March 1, 2004
Take this job and....take it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment