February 3, 2005

Touchstone...

Okay so I'm sitting outside the offices of Touchstone Realty, in Bakersfield, California. It's currently 49°, foggy, and I'm nervous as hell.

I've been here before. Many times.

Back when I was with ABM, this was one of my regular stops. We installed all of their print servers, color copiers, and multifunction machines. We also provided a considerable amount of on-site service thanks to a certain IT/Graphic Art department located inside.

Today, I am working in that department again. I did this a few weeks back, and my temp agency called me again yesterday to see if I could pull a full week here this time. I don't know what my work will be specifically, but it's always layout and design. Chances are I might be able to provide a little support to the devices I know so well here.

I just really wish this could turn into something more because to be quite honest, this is my dream position in this town. About a month ago I had what I felt was a successful interview with a company that is, essentially, the direct competitor to my former employer. I felt a little uneasy about it since I still hold a lot of loyalty to ABM, even if it's completely unnecessary. I just really liked my old job and while I really wanted the position, and I think the interview went well... it's been a month and I think the guy who interviewed me looked at my sudden departure from ABM with suspicion.

Can't blame him.

But I've just about had enough temporary, consulting, and non-permanent work to last me a lifetime. I've been selling my ideas and talents to companies since I left school. I've just had enough of all this.

No comments: