August 27, 2005

Fungus among us...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yeah, okay so I'm officially grossed out.

The wife and kids and I spend a week at the beach a while back and come home to find a leak in the pipes. Upstairs bathroom toilet, and downstairs toilet. We freak out at the giant dome of plaster bulging from the ceiling in the downstairs hallway, and freak even more when we see water flowing from it when someone uses the water upstairs.

So a few pots and pans, some mops, a few twists of the water valves, and we're in a holding pattern for a plumber. Now, as I have said before...apartments can be tricky. Usually you get maintenance immediately, because the owner of the building doesn't want damage to the place.

Mine however, seems to be paying close attention to the bottom line.

In the end, it takes three days to get the pipes fixed. We don't know how long the leak was there before we came home, and find ourselves greeted by two new guests in our downstairs bathroom on Friday morning:

A pair of mushrooms.

Oh yeah. That's right. I also had a lovely little patch of black mold growing out from the wall and the floor where the shrooms sprouted. So we snatch the kids up and get em out of the house. I inform the manager (who we like, but has little power to help us from cheap owners) that we will not be staying inside the apartment, and she agrees it would be dangerous. Schedules a plumber for Monday morning, and looks into getting my motel paid for.

In the mean time, I'm grossed out and sleeping at my in-laws because I have a potentially deadly spore growing in the place where I hang my hat.

fun shit!

No comments: