November 16, 2005

Action Movie: 101

Okay, here's the best Hollywood popcorn movie you haven't seen.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Did you know they made a movie adaptation of Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt adventures? I didn't have any idea. I actually remember the trailers for this film (which was released April 2005) and they didn't even remotely promote a Dirk Pitt film. I mean, first of all...Dirk spends most of his time in the water...the Sahara doesn't exactly get you all that wet. In fact, while this is one of the best stories in the series, it seems an odd choice for introducing Dirk Pitt to audiences. I also seem to remember that there was another "desert" movie released around the same time and I'm wondering if everyone got them confused because this movie didn't own the box office like it should have. I think that's a pity.

Hell, it just doesn't seem like the studio gave this movie a chance.

There's a tangible rock & roll sensation to this movie, and they totally captured the feel of Cussler's characters. People compare him to Indiana Jones, Bond, and some kind of a less stiff Tomb Raider. I think those are terrible examples to compare Dirk Pitt to.

Ever read Doc Savage?

I dunno, I've read 3 Dirk Pitt books and they're unique examples of action adventure. If you ask me, this is one of those well written, but not too popular literary characters, that inspires most of the un-original screenplays that Hollywood churns out for summer movies. Cussler's stories are preposterous, mind you -- and you should keep that in mind while watching the movie. I mean, read one of his books and you'll notice how easily the challenge our main character faces, actually effects the fate of the world. The thing to remember however, is that while Bond and Indiana Jones are loners or sorts, Dirk Pitt simply considers himself a member of an ensemble of engineers, government spooks, and oil rig workers who just happen to save the day while trying to rescue important historical artifacts. The dynamic of Dirk and Al, is portrayed very well here and Matthew McConaughey REALLY owns the screen in this film.

So either way, the books have established great characters and seeing these people I'd read about in my teens, jump off my TV screen...well it was a real surprise treat...and I emphasize the "surprise" part.

I mean, I still had no idea what this movie was about and I'd read Sahara the book! I stumbled across the DVD when my father-in-law told me how much he liked it. After just a few minutes I figured out what I was watching, and I nearly jumped out of my seat. After seeing what I consider one of the better action movies I've seen in ages, I really hope that the plans Paramount Pictures had for this movie becoming a franchise, come true. If you listen to the commentary track with McConaughey and the director, they make it sound like there's 2 more coming for sure.

If you can detach yourself from the fact that none of the bad guys seem to be able to shoot the broad side of a barn, and that the main bad guy has an evil lair that's so over the top Bond-ish it hurts to look at, or that Penelope Cruz isn't really hot or interesting in any way regardless of how good the material is they give her -- then you'll really dig this flick.

I guess this is my attempt to help the movie. I just don't think anyone really got a chance to enjoy this movie, and I would like to see more of them. I like popcorn movies every once in a while, and I would prefer McConaughey in the drivers seat for the next big action franchise over "The Rock" so go rent it and enjoy.

No comments: