January 24, 2006

Yo momma...

So yeah, I'm flying my mother out here pretty soon.

It's a big deal around here actually. This will be the first time she's come to California since I moved here. I wont kid you, I'm a little nervous. I've had an image in my mind of a carved out existence that I wanted to show my parents, and I'm not anywhere near it yet.

Fortunately, two amazing kids and a wife of steadfast coolness make up for it. I mean, the kids were totally unexpected, believe me. I think I've touched on this topic before, but neither of our children were planned...only to turn out to be the best turn of events ever. I'm sure that if I'd had a little more experience and common sense under my cap, I wouldn't have had to shift gears like I did and run to Bakersfield with my tail between my legs. It's hard to admit it at first, but fortunately being here has been excellent for us.

On a personal level I've reached a milestone in my life. So personal, I'm not even ready to really put it up here yet. My own journal, go figure. Suffice it to say, I have new eyes to see with.

As for the wife and kids, I think being as close to family as possible is the best part of living here. It's why flying my mother out, is so important to me. I mean, she hasn't seen her grandchildren in nearly 2 years. If it weren't for the fact that Kayla and I keep pictures of my parents up and continue to remind them who they are, I don't think they'd know we were talking to any different "grandparents" than the ones that live a few miles away.

I know Oliver will act like Mom's an old buddy, because he does that to everyone. Charlie on the other hand, plays shy with people sometimes. Hell, she's kept it up with a guy we've known for well over a year now, and doesn't show signs of stopping anytime soon. Maybe it's just Hawaiian guys? I dunno.

And then I'm worried about Kayla. So much so, that I'm up tonight when I should be sleeping. I have a job interview tomorrow for christ sake.

You see, Kayla and my mother don't have a relationship really. I'd like to pretend they do, and they get along very well actually. It's just that they haven't really had an opportunity to build one yet. Other than the times I had Kayla in Texas (back in the dating days) or the two visits home since I moved here and got married, the two women in my life haven't really spent a lot of time together.

Hell, I can say other than a few moments when I've left her with my mom, some phone calls, or that one shopping trip they had together, it's pretty much nada.

Now, Kayla is my favorite human being on the planet. I stick by this statement in spite of her snoring and occasional gas. Sure, she's afraid of the dark and has an odd fascination with a Scottish late night TV host, but hey...she's still pretty super.

(yeah...come and get me, honey)

I'm just worried that my adoring wife is gonna feel abandoned by me. I can already tell that my IT contracts have picked up here at the first of the year, and I'm interviewing for some pretty snazzy positions I've been gunning to get for a while now. If things keep going this way, I'll only be seeing my mother on weekends when she's here. Oh, that's another thing.

She's staying for a month.

So for a pretty good stay, my mother is going to be here with my family and I. Sure, we have to hide the porn and teach the kids to stop smoking/cussing at the table and whatnot, but we'll do fine. It's just that Kay can get anxious about things and I don't want her to be nervous about alone time with Mom. Hell, nervous about anything.

At least not as nervous as I am.

Did I mention that my mother is an evangelical and I'm not anymore? Oh yeah, fun times ahead.

No comments: