May 25, 2006

Darth Pimpin...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

By the way, just to clarify (even though I know I covered this) I'm fully aware of the fact that every culture in this country is capable of littering. I also know that, especially in the South where I'm from, the litterbug population is primarily white trash.

This is because of the exact same reasons I pointed out in my previous post. A culture of indifference towards the problem can result from numerous things, but generally it comes from poverty. In Mexico, the people have had their land taken away and their sense of pride stripped by generations of corrupt leaders and wealthy land owners. With no sense of ownership, and no sense of connection...is it any wonder why something like littering becomes trivial? Over these generations, the behavior became ingrained. Now, Mexican immigrants live here...but the behavior continues.

The same applies to every color of skin in this country. America has them all, and yes, you can find African-Americans, Native-Americans, Asian-Americans, and good ole Caucasian folks littering en masse.

My point, was that in this time when we're trying to fight so hard for new immigration laws that provide a real pathway to citizenship (through earning it) that casting off the bad aspects of our previous cultural conditioning would be beneficial to the fight. If you didn't get that from my article, you don't read very well. This is a class issue, not a race issue. I'm pointing it out because a good 2,000 Latinos in my city made themselves look very bad on Monday. I give a rats ass about them, so I speak up.

To all the hate e-mail senders, I ask this question:

When was the last time you spoke up to a friend or family member who was engaging in a destructive behavior? Was it uncomfortable? Did it sound like chastising? Did it sound judgmental? Did it sound like you were singling that person out, even though you were just trying to help them? Exactly.

Now grow the fuck up and learn a history lesson. Every culture has to better itself, so that our overall society can evolve progressively. Overfishing and hunting animals to the point of extinction (done by white people by the way) were behaviors that had to be cast off as well, and these weren't even a result of poverty. It was a cultural conditioning that the resources of this planet were limitless.

Eventually, we grew and began to stop the behavior. The same thing can be done here by our fellow Latino citizens. (and the non-citizens too) No, they aren't the only people littering in this country, but per-capita, they're over the top comparatively. They're also the (technically) newest large additions to our society...so the mass education has to start somewhere.

Again, I'm doing my part. What have you done?

No comments: