I'm not an active environmentalist. Hell...my wife had to force me to recycle until I saw a financial advantage in it. For years however I've lamented that the pro-conservation and clean energy activists of the world are comprised of primarily liberal people who think I'm a square. I understand the obvious reasons why, but there are a lot of conservatives who are not only focused on environmental issues, they're applying pro-business, free market principles and conservative ideals to the fight.
DOW Chemical is not concerned with global economic, social and environmental concenrs. This commercial showcases so much beauty and grace, that when I first saw it on television 15 minutes ago, I felt a sense of wonder. Wait for the last 2 seconds though. I find the fantastic visuals, and pure emotive content utterly dismissable and tacky when DOW chooses to use it to make themselves look sympathetic to humanity.
I'm a big fan of DOW chemical. I like their products, and purchase them regularly. I want them to make money. I would also like for them to be environmentally sound and supportive, as well as globally involved in positive ways...but I'm not holding my breath.
I am however, writing a letter to the company this week, explaining how I find this ad campaign utterly disgusting. They are not the champions of humanity, have no intentions to be so, and should not wear the skin of someone who is.
As I said before...it's just tacky.
Alas, I sit on a razors edge of geo-political ideas and theories. I sit outisde every political party, and find myself trying to explain to seemingly intelligent people how brainwashed they are by these two (well it seems like two on the surface) opposing viewpoints. In the end though, I just seem like a weird outsider to them all. Maybe I'm what those political analysts keep calling a "swing voter"?
Naaaah. I just like to call "bullshit" when I see it.
Bullshit, DOW.
June 25, 2006
Gag factor...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment