October 4, 2006

Come on feel the Illinois...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Okay, download the song HERE. It takes a few spins for the magic to hit some people but I think this guy is brilliant. Read along as you listen.

Song Title: The World's Columbian Exposition / Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream

Oh great intentions
I've got the best of interventions
But when the ads come
I think about it now

In my infliction
Entrepreneurial conditions
Take us to glory
I think about it now

Cannot conversations cull united nations?
If you got the patience, celebrate the ancients
Cannot all creation call it celebration?
Or united nation. Put it to your head.

Oh great white city
I've got the adequate committee
Where have your walls gone?
I think about it now

Chicago, in fashion, the soft drinks, expansion
Oh Columbia!
From Paris, incentive, like Cream of Wheat invented,
The Ferris Wheel!

Oh great intentions
Covenant with the imitation
Have you no conscience?
I think about it now

Oh God of Progress
Have you degraded or forgot us?
Where have your laws gone?
I think about it now

Ancient hieroglyphic or the South Pacific
Typically terrific, busy and prolific

Classical devotion, architect promotion
Lacking in emotion. Think about it now.

Chicago, the New Age, but what would Frank Lloyd Wright say?
Oh Columbia!
Amusement or treasure, these optimistic pleasures
Like the Ferris Wheel!

Cannot conversations cull united nations?
If you got the patience, celebrate the ancients

Columbia!

I cried myself to sleep last night
And the ghost of Carl, he approached my window
I was hypnotized, I was asked
To improvise
On the attitude, the regret
Of a thousand centuries of death

Even with the heart of terror and the superstitious wearer
I am riding all alone
I am writing all alone

Even in my best condition, counting all the superstition
I am riding all alone
I am running all alone

And we laughed at the beatitudes of a thousand lines
We were asked at the attitudes
They reminded us of death

Even with the rest belated, everything is antiquated
Are you writing from the heart?
Are you writing from the heart?

Even in his heart the Devil has to know the water level
Are you writing from the heart?
Are you writing from the heart?

And I cried myself to sleep last night
For the Earth, and materials, they may sound just right to me

Even with the rest belated, everything is antiquated
Are you writing from the heart?
Are you writing from the heart?

Even in his heart the Devil has to know the water level
Are you writing from the heart?
Are you writing from the heart?


- You might have heard the story about him when he announced he was going to cut 50 albums in honor of the 50 States. This one, of course, being part of the Illinois album. He's also cut one for Michigan. I just like self taught musicians who play everything on their albums. It's impressive to think he layered this by himself. It takes a lot of talent.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so this blog entry is from ages ago, but I will be eternally grateful to you for it. I heard this song on the radio today, triple j (australia's best radio station) and absolutely loved it. But I was in the car and had to get out before I had a chance to hear them announce who it was. So I jotted down some of the lyrics to google and this is the only place they were listed. thanks, you made my night!