February 16, 2004

Happy Birthday to me!

Okay, so I'm 26 today.

You know, it's odd how certain birthdays make milestones and others don't. I mean, after all turning 25 was pretty cool. I was a quarter of a century old. I like odd numbers, and 25 just seemed cool.

Now, I'm 26...

16 was super cool, my old man bought me a red Mustang Convertible and I hit the road grinnin'. Turning 18 really rocked because I got to vote. Everything from 21 to 24 was pretty much the usual. I didn't really care about drinking at 21. This is partially because people stopped carding me long before that, and being sloshed never really appealed to me anyway. So no biggie. Everyone's treated me like I was significantly older than I really am (god, I hope this eventually stops or I'll be called "pops" by 35!) and I'd grown used to being respected as an adult long before I actually was one.

Hell, strip joints at 14 were VERY cool.

But on the flip side of this quarter century of life I suddenly feel a freakishly powerful sense of urgency. I'm assuming this is what fuels people to become themselves...or grotesque versions of what they wanted to be as a kid. I suppose the test of adulthood is how you handle this burning desire to "get on with it". I have kids now, and a wonderful wife. I've been working on getting things "stable" for a few years now and find myself surrounded by a moderate number of successes and a few bumps from being youthfully naive.

But for the most part, I still have my faith. I have a terrific family that makes me feel like my chest could burst with pride. I even have a really bitchin' guitar and I can still Rock N' Roll with the best of em.

(sheesh, my kids are gonna think I'm so lame)

Either way, I wanna make sure I don't get one of those "Mid-Life-Crisis" things. I don't really see how I would have to make much of an effort to keep from getting one. I mean, I have cool hobbies and my wife is super hot. I won't need to buy a Harley and screw a 19 year old secretary.

Well, maybe at least one chopper, and the hottie wife on the back? Yeah baby.

Happy Birthday to me!

PS: The Hottie just came in and wished me a Happy Birthday...reminded me that I couldn't have a Birthday cake because we went on the Atkins diet as of today, and then told me I was old.

No comments: