There's a big difference between loving your work and loving your job.
I've been loving my work and loathing my job for years now. I just figured this out of course, because my new job is so freakin' fantastic. It's amazing what you become comfortable with in life. I mean, how many times have I told people to press on and stick to their guns, only to gladly eat shit from pricks who never even respected me enough to pay me on time?
What's even more sad, is that if you asked me how much I loved eating that steamy pile of business development initiative, or whatever sales-infused psycho babble they were spewing that week, I would have happily chimed away about the benefits of such a diet.
Just take organization. I mean, we've all worked somewhere that had it's quirks, but consulting in and around the car business has left me with a seriously bad habit of being comfortable with an unholy amount of disarray. I don't just mean messy files or desks, mind you. No, I mean company policies, procedures, and rules.
There's just no structure there. Company execs who bilk profits for personal use, employees who just screw anyone that can, and enough lawsuits just lying around to make a lawyer soil himself. The byproduct of this mess can be clearly seen when I'm about to hug a supply clerk just because he knows where all his supplies are. I damn near kiss my boss for telling me the dress, conduct, and disciplinary procedures within the office. I'm sure to most folks stuff like that seems like what you're supposed to expect from an employer...but to me it's like a breath of fresh air.
I have become accustomed to working in hell, and I am so thankful for the little things now. It's hilarious and infuriating at the same time. Thank god I love my work. I was convinced I would have to drop IT for good because there wasn't an honest wage anywhere doing it. Fortunately I was proven wrong.
I'm doing what I like, where I like it, and when. Sheesh!
The reason I'm blogging about this is because with my last jobs, it was always around this 2 week point that I'd been able to come up with a good lay of the land...usually with misgivings. I'm sitting here 2 weeks in, and I like it even more. Go figure.
PS: The ridiculous amount of travel this week has been explained to me by everyone as a fluke, so I'm not freaking about that. I will keep it on the radar though.
March 13, 2004
Hey, where's my timecard?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment