So I might be scheduled in for training today, or I might not.
Emphasis on the might either way, of course. It would appear that there are ways to schedule in a new technician like myself, and there are ways to get lost in the jumble.
I'm kinda lost in the jumble as of lunch.
I have a number of other tech's I work with here, primarily they are all machine tech's, so they just learn how to service the peripherals and the systems that run them. I on the other hand, seem to be the connectivity guy. This is cool, and kind of weird at the same time since I am responsible for assisting the service and sales sides of the company.
Now anyone who works within a company that has both a sales and service department...knows exactly what position I am in. On one side, I am a tech just like any other. I fix a box with a specific set of skills and tools at my disposal. On the other side, I am a tool for the sales department in demonstration and application. They will be using me to install these systems and integrate them into the existing networks that we sell to.
Now, sales and service departments can get along just fine as long as one doesn't try to do the other's job.
The funny thing is, I have a direct supervisor in both the service and sales departments. Yeah, I report to two different people and they won't necessarily agree on every issue. For instance, the accounting department, and the sales department would greatly appreciate it if I could get us a new tape backup system to protect them from another hard drive loss. The accounting dept needs security for obvious reasons, and the sales department would like to keep from losing contact info.
Also, the "loss" that I am referring to also has a data recovery job on it's playbill. Everyone would like to recover something from the HD that got wiped before I was hired.
The service department however, doesn't seem very interested in this. They think the sales people should just remember their customers and get to work. This is a story as old as business itself, so blah blah blah.
Either way, I'm sitting here at my desk waiting to be told if I will be sitting in a classroom for the next week, or initiating some data recovery and backup initiative. Fun eh? What's even more fun is that if I am in class, I will be in Sacramento for something like 3 days!
Sheesh!!!
-----> Yeah, actually they just walked into my office and confirmed that I will be in Sacramento as of tonight. Well, at least I have some friends in that town that I have been wanting to look up. Maybe they know some good places to grab a bite and whatnot. Apparently I'm supposed to bill the company.
Sweet!!
March 8, 2004
To train, or not to train...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment