May 28, 2004

Holy crap...

Okay, so apparently a promoter here in Bakersfield wants me to compete in his LOCAL MMA event!

Just before I went down to LA for training I called a number I saw on TV talking about a "Toughman" competition here in B-town. When I found out it was going to be on the Saturday I returned from training, I knew I couldn't do it...but I wanted to call and see if any more were happening. When I got the machine, I decided to hang up and forget it.

Then the promoter called me back. Caller ID strikes again.

So the promoter and I get to talking and he tells me he's hosting the very first California Sports Authority sanctioned Mixed Martial Arts competition, right here in Bakersfield.

So of course, I freaking jump out of my chair with excitement, but I keep it under my hat. I tell him about my amateur kickboxing records, and my TKA Super Heavyweight Championship in 1997. He tells me he needs to verify the records and we're set.


Seven Todd Bates
Official TKA Standings
61 Wins/1 Loss/0 Draws
53 Wins by KO
37 KO's within 3 rounds

• TKA Super Heavyweight Champion 3/8/97
• Defended title 11 times
• Retired TKA title 1/16/1998

Okay so either way, he calls me back at work on Tuesday and tells me he's confirmed my record and wants me on the fight ticket. The only hitch is that the California Sports Authority has placed a very temporary approval on this MME competition, solely because the folks involved have sworn the highest level of emergency medical presence and security ever provided at an event. If for any reason the CSA decides that the whole thing isn't up to snuff, they'll pull the plug. The thing I'm worried about, is if the CSA decides I'm entirely too out of shape to compete!

Everyone who knows me, knows I have been dying to find one of these in California -- hell even underground fights. As a kid I just really loved competing in point Karate, or full contact regional Karate competitions. Sure, I played little league football, and I enjoyed the same things as other kids...but I was freakishly tall and strong for my age and when I found out that I could easily defeat my adult instructors and fellow students in sparring matches, hell I was hooked.

The most fun stuff is south of the border though. Combat Libre, and Vale Tudo matches regularly fill the nightclubs and outdoor arenas from Mexico to Brazil. They're exciting, dangerous, and very very stupid for doughy American teenagers to get involved with.

[Hindsight is 20/20, ya know]

Either way, I haven't fought competitively since 1998 and that was just an exhibition match between me and an old (you're not that old Sifu Hilton) Jujitsu instructor from Humble, Texas. I Sooooooooooo need to get back into shape that its a joke. I'm hoping they don't laugh me out the door when they see me. I personally think I'm a better fighter now than I ever was back then. Seriously.

The problem is that this will most likely be an elimination match tournament, and I could totally get my ass creamed if I have to run through more than 2 guys in one night. I mean, sure as a bouncer I could snap 10 guys in a row but that's different. Those fights are with drunks, and 9 times out of 10 they're chumps. The guys with the balls big enough to walk into an octagon and test their skills are not pansy ass wannabe's.

Hell, they don't make shit for money. They do this for fun, pride, whatever. I am so freakin' excited I could just start doing pushups or something.

(lol, yeah right)


No comments: