Jeff Smith, "The Frugal Gourmet" passed away July 7th, 2004 at the age of 65.
This guy is the reason I can cook.
He made it seem human. He screwed up a lot, and I loved it. His dishes tasted fantastic, but I thought mine -- inspired by his -- were even better. I was so thrilled that I could cook something and do it well that I just kept it up. I was a kid when I started watching him burn omelets and tell me the incredibly deep history of breads.
In fact, that's why he appealed to me. He was one of those long winded theological types who knew the anthropological connections and cultural roots of foods we eat every day. He knew where it came from, why it was cooked the way it was, and how it made those people feel. He also ran his show as one long shot, never editing his gaffs from the final product. He once told The Seattle Times he wanted the show:
"To feel as live as possible. If I make a mistake, I just say, 'Oh, my God, look what I did.' " - Jeff Smith
An ordained minister and one-time chaplain at University of Puget Sound, he was a student of international cooking. Mr. Smith maintained that food was an avenue toward understanding among cultures. He especially loved Chinese food, and for many years cooked a big feast for his friends to celebrate the Chinese New Year. I remember watching him during those episodes and it was amazing how he could interact with 20+ people standing around him while he cooked.
I don't like a single soul in my kitchen with me...but then again, I'm not hosting a cooking show. My recipes are top secret.
His death brings out even more sadness because NOW I know why I couldn't find him on any public television programming by the late 90's. I'm shocked and have no clue what to make of it all, but apparently he was accused of sexual harassment and abuse by 7 men a few years back. While he was never officially brought up on charges, and some of his accusers were former criminals and com-men, he and his insurance company settled with the alleged victims.
They charged that the majority of the abuse took place in the 70's, back when he was a chaplain. Obviously this ended his public television career, and looking back on the last season...I remember him looking very tired. I think it's just a sad black eye on the memory of a special man who touched so many people. [maybe more than he should have] I'm really going to miss the Frugal Gourmet, even more now than I have the last 7 years or so. Reports say he died in his sleep from a long bout with heart disease.
All I know is that he is the reason I can walk into any damn kitchen, and I do mean any kitchen, and bang out something really great. I haven't met a pantry I could tackle thanks to him. Friends of mine have always been baffled by how I could grab whatever they had -- and a lot of times they didn't know they had it -- and come up with something. I know that I was inspired by others after I met the Frugal one, but he introduced me to the idea that a man could whip up something with flair and be proud of it.
Sheesh, this is sad as hell. I'm going to miss you Mr. Smith. In the words of your daily sign off:
"I bid you peace."
July 15, 2004
A frugal farewell...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment