Yeah, so the whole ticket thing turned into a tiny fiasco.
Quick history: I had a small accident in Garden Grove shortly after starting this blog. I was still living in LA, and this Asian guy in a Lincoln ran a stop sign. I t-boned him and all this Bologna -- either way, the cops show up and start to take the reports.
Turns out I didn't have my insurance paperwork with me at the time. No biggie, I've had that happen before. You just mail it in or show up with it and it's dismissed. So the officer on the scene writes my citation and asks me if I at least have my registration paperwork with me. I did, and I told him it was still in the car. He asks me to go get it for him, so I do.
Now, my car is parked on the opposite side of the road so I cross the street to get to it. As I'm walking, a fire truck turns the corner come down the street I'm on. I'm already halfway across the street so I get my ass across the street. I get my paperwork, and come back. This is when the officer's partner writes me a ticket for jaywalking in front of an emergency vehicle.
No shit.
Even the officer who asked me for the paperwork was beside himself. He even asked the prick "Are you seriously going to write him a ticket?" to which his partner replied "Yes, he just impeded the path of a fire truck".
Okay so long story short, I throw a huge fit and guarantee to eat this cop for breakfast i front of a judge. I've sent a number of idiotic police officers crying for shit like this, he will be no different.
My insurance company then told me months later that they sent in my insurance paperwork and that everything had been taken care of. He told me there were no more remaining tickets from the accident and after I got DMV reports showing everything was clean I just assumed the cop decided that ticket was bogus and called it off. The lawyer from the insurance company even sent me confirmation paperwork about it.
I didn't receive any further notices and that was that.
Then a few weeks ago I receive a notice saying that I had missed multiple court dates for a no insurance ticket. I called and explained that I did have insurance at the time and that it had been submitted by my insurance company. They told me I needed to come down and see a judge to clear it up.
So I do, and I'm arrested the moment I walk into the courthouse.
Once I finally see the judge, he tells me he doesn't care what my lawyer said -- I'm going to jail or paying a thousand dollar fine to go home. I tell him that I had insurance and have paperwork to prove it, he says he doesn't care. Sit down boy and think about how you're going to come up with $1000 or if you want cuffs.
He begins to see the other cases in the room, and the bailiff notices that I'm furious. He asks me to step outside with him for a moment, and explains that he's seen this happen before.
Bailiff: "I know the judge seems like he's being a jerk, but he's actually trying to help you."
Me: "Oh really?"
Bailiff: "Yes, you see he can't tell you what to do because he's the judge, but if you just plea guilty he'll give you time to pay the fine and you can sue the lawyer who burned you for the fine."
Me: "Yeah, but that still includes a fine for no insurance when I DID have insurance!"
Bailiff: "Yes, but it's better than going through door #2 with me."
Me: "Some options"
Bailiff: "Step back inside."
So I finally get before the judge again, and he says he's going to throw out the no insurance ticket. Says he believes me. Whatever. He then tells me I have to plea guilty to the jaywalking ticket, and pay a $400 dollar fine for that -- or go to jail.
Now, here's the thing. I'm more than happy to spend a week or two in jail to get this dewey dumbfuck cop in front of the judge to get this case thrown out, but I don't want them to impound my car that's parked outside. I also don't want anyone to try and spring me with bail. Additionally, I just got laid off my job and I don't need a single day interrupting my job search.
So I cop guilty to the jaywalking, and swallow that one like it was a 5lb block of razor blades. The day after, I get a call from a company that wants to hire me for a quick project back in Bakersfield. Pays well, and it sounds like fun. Fortunately, I was able to take the call without a county bailiff transferring it for me.
Okay, so I'm back I Bakersfield and trying to get back into the swing of things. RAT Theater is working hard on the Christmas show, and Kayla, god bless her, put up some decorations and is already getting things in a festive mood.
I'll get back to blogging in a regular speed soon, I swear. I just worked out a deal where I got myself a new computer...so I'll be back in the swing of things before Christmas.
Talk to you then.
December 9, 2004
Crappy movies & cheese whiz...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment