So I did the first of my temp IT jobs today.
I showed up to a large business center building on the north side of town, and found a server room just waiting for me. Of course, I was the one who ended up doing the waiting because while the room was impressive, it wasn't finished.
Turns out the job, which has been rescheduled twice, was being delayed by the local telecom guys having trouble getting the main wire to the server room itself. Either way, getting the job done once they were finished was simple enough. I just connected a VPN box and coordinated with the HQ techs on a conference call.
It was nice though. Just a little more than a month away from work, and switches, cables, humming processor fans -- they all felt good in my hands. As I'm on the job, I'm told they have work for me tomorrow as well. I schedule with them and head home. Once I get there, I get a call from another temp agency, and they dropped something on me I was NOT expecting.
Turns out that one of my customers, the one that I probably visited the most often, the one I shared a love/loathe relationship with, would really like me to come down and help them out with some graphic art/IT Connectivity stuff.
Now this is a big deal, and quite funny...lemme explain.
The company itself has a name that when uttered in the hallowed halls of my previous employer, groans and grimace usually follow. Now this is simply because of the number of visits the technicians make to Touchstone on a regular basis. Everyone from the fax guys to IT guys like me, we hit that place once to twice a week, easily.
I personally had a lot of entertaining moments with the head of the IT/Marketing department. He's a really great guy, but even more of a perfectionist than I. This led to numerous discussions of how light the shade of avocado coming out of the C3200 was. He thought it was more mint, I thought it was a shade darker than that. These kinds of conversations usually lead to people feeling sheepishly trivial after a few moments, but Ryan and I could keep em up for hours.
Either way, Ryan seems to have departed. I really liked the guy, so I was a little bummed to hear that. Of course, I personally thought about gunning for his job the moment I was laid off last month, but hey...THIS way I could work here and have no guilt~! I like that.
December 15, 2004
Interesting news...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment