March 25, 2006

In Memory...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Buck Owens
August 12, 1929 - March 25, 2006

This man has so much story, it's staggering. He has devoted fans, ardent enemies, and an entire city that will never be the same without him. Buck Ownes was a character among characters. His development, with some of the pioneers of country music, of the "Bakersfield Sound" is legendary. His status as an entertainer is forever set in the hearts and minds of country music lovers, the world over.

But for me, Buck was like a beacon. As a child, I fell in love with his music and forever thanked him for introducing me to Dwight Yoakum. Thousands of miles away, I grew up singing "On the streets of Bakersfield" only to fall in love with one of it's daughters and move here years later. Looking back and remembering how I visualised this city before I ever set eyes on it...and I am transported back to my childhood bedroom.

Thank you Buck.

They're gonna put me in the movies
They're gonna make a big star out of me
We'll make a film about a man that's sad and lonely
And all I gotta do is act naturally

Well, I'll bet you I'm gonna be a big star
Might win an Oscar you can never tell
The movies gonna make me a big star
'Cause I can play the part so well

Well I hope you come and see me in the movies
Then I know that you will plainly see
The biggest fool that ever hit the big time
And all I gotta do is act naturally

We'll make the scene about a man that's sad and lonely
And beggin down upon his bended knee
I'll play the part but I won't need rehearsin’
All I gotta do is act naturally

Well, I'll bet you I'm gonna be a big star
Might win an Oscar you can never tell
The movies gonna make me a big star
'Cause I can play the part so well

Well I hope you come and see me in the movies
Then I know that you will plainly see
The biggest fool that ever hit the big time
And all I gotta do is act naturally

No comments: