August 21, 2003

Breath fo fresh smog.......

Well that was lovely.

I just got back home today. I have been in Bakersfield for 2 days. Kayla and the kids got home from their national tour on Friday of last week. They decided to push home from Vegas because they were tired, road weary, and ready for their own beds. Thank god they made it back so soon.

I had reached such a level of whiny, bitchy, sniveling lameness (while they were gone) that when she called and said they were home a little early I nearly cried like a little girl. Even some of the guys I work with on a daily basis had asked me if I was feeling okay, because I had fired two people (who needed firing, this wasn’t just random abuse of power......exactly) and everyone who knows "Work 7" knows I hate firing people more than a root canal.

I know what it feels like to lose a job, and taking one away from anyone makes me feel like shit. In fact, I had some numbnut senior manager at my office threatened me with cutting my pay and demoting me because HE screwed up his budget and wasn't going to be able to meet expected figures. "I know its not your fault, but I need to change this department. I'm not getting what I need out of it."

God loves me, and watches over me man. I know it.

This was grounds for pulling out the postal service shotgun approach to senior management assessment. If I had not spent the last 36 hours or so with my beautiful wife and kids, I would have probably flipped a breaker in the "Don't chew his face off" circuit of my brain and lost my job on the spot.

I'm gonna find out what the hell is going on inside this company that has so many people acting so weird. I really am tired of not doing as good a job as I could be because somebody else messes it up. I understand that a lot of this is unintentional, but it still adds to the seemingly endless amounts of inefficiency that makes this place tick the way it does.

In the meantime, I'll just start stealing office supplies anyway. I like sharpies.

No comments: