August 30, 2003

Rattlesnake Ka-Bob's anyone?

"oh give me a home,
where the buffalo roam,
where the deer and the antelope play,

where seldom is heard,
a discouragin' word,
and the BBQ cooks up all day"


I eat weird shit.

This is something I am neither proud or ashamed of. It simply is. I love eating exotic foods, and stuff you wouldn't necessarily consider chowin' down on.

Rattlesnake Ka-Bob's, seasoned with Tony Chachere's and lime juice, are a weakness of mine. Now mind you, there are meatier snakes than Rattlers, but they're not as plentiful and there's something about the flavor of a rattler that just doesn't say "It tastes like chicken".

It's a lot like crocodile or gator. Sure, the flavor of the meat may seem similar to chicken, but the texture is more like beef or pork. Anyone who has ever eaten game such as deer or antelope will also tell you that they love it because the taste is so recognizable.

Of course, there are those who think we're all a little weird. I can't blame em.

Hell, I'm sure I seem like one of the Clampetts to folks from California when I talk about BBQ gator and such, but it's really fantastic stuff. After all, tons of people eat Cornish game hen (which always seemed like I was muchin' on a pigeon) and lets not forget that we drink milk from cows people. You would be amazed how many other cultures in this world think we're nuts for doing that.

Either way, I had me some Rattler the other day. A buddy of mine told me that just a few miles from where I work, there is a Carnicera (Mexican Meat Market) where if you ask really nicely, the lady behind the counter will take you in the back and sell you rattlesnake, either raw or cooked.

Well I was on a lunch break, so of course I ordered cooked. Only 4 bucks!

She did it over an electric grill, and it took about 5 minutes. Rattlesnake cooks up fast like shellfish, and has a somewhat similar texture; kinda firm. She flavored it completely different though, using a pickling sauce with crushed red peppers, lime juice, and what I assume was cilantro.

F*cking yum man! (It did open my sinuses though...my eyes were watering)

So either way, I'm pretty stoked (see I can talk like a Californian) about having this place close by. The woman running the place said they were considering selling the shop and moving sometime soon, so I'm gonna have to get what I can, while I can.

Jesus, I must sound so weird to you people.

No comments: