February 27, 2004

Charlie Girl gallop...

Okay, so little Charlie is walking.

This is a really cool event in our home. We've also been fortunate enough to have two completely different examples of this with our kids.

You see, Oliver got mobile around 8 months. He'd been doing an odd crawling thing where he sat on one leg, and kind of pushed himself -- or slid rather -- with another leg behind him. At first, it seemed strange and I won't kid you, I was a little concerned.

As a parent, you're always freaking out when your kids do something differently because there's this overwhelming urge to feel guilty for it. Like your kid is some special ed case because you smoked too much weed in college or something.

Either way, it turned out Oliver could walk LONG before he ever got around to feeling like it. Somewhere around a year old, Kayla and I were watching him crawl/slide across the living room floor and there was some large toy in his way...so he just stood up, walked over it, and then sat back down and continued on his merry way.

We damn near fell out of our chairs.

I mean, it's not like he stammered or wobbled in an attempt to walk. No, no, no, that would be too normal. This kid just up and trotted along. We began to make a big deal out of it -- hoping he would too -- and within three days or so he was walking everywhere.

So it turned out Oliver was just gonna get around to it when he felt like it. Charlie on the other hand, felt like walking at 10 months exactly. The difference here is that we've had a good month or so of watching her stand up and plop on her rear end. This is the stuff cameras were made for, so we've been catching as much of it as we could.

Of course I wish we had video of our faces when Kayla and I saw Ollie walk for the first time. THAT would be funny.

The job search is coming along very well. I have a 2nd interview with that very cool company tomorrow afternoon. I was told there were three steps in the hiring process, so lets hope I pull this one off. I would really like the work, and the money is great.

Go figure, there IS life after the car biz.

No comments: